The Advocacy in ACTion Network is a partnership of St. Stephen's Human Services, our volunteers, donors, clients, and communities all working together to end homelessness.
If you are interested in learning more about and advocating for state and local government policies that help end homelessness, please join our Advocacy in ACTion Network. You will receive regular updates on policies and legislation impacting homelessness, as well as targeted calls to action.
2018 Advocacy Agenda
Expand and preserve affordable housing opportunities, to ensure that everyone has a place to call home.
- Invest in the development of affordable housing
- Preserve existing affordable and supportive housing
Learn what Minnesota's affordable housing landscape looks like, and how that impacts St. Stephen's clients here
Remove barriers to housing for the people we serve.
- Limit screening out tenants who have rent subsidies, criminal histories, or imperfect rental histories
- Reform rental eviction expungement law and practices
Learn more about how these barriers impact St. Stephen's clients here
Support economic stability for the lowest income households.
- Increase the minimum wage.
- Increase MFIP cash assistance.
- Ban predatory lending.
Learn about MFIP and the current state of minimum wage in Minnesota here
Restore and preserve voting rights.
- Restore voting rights for ex-offenders.
- Oppose restrictive voting laws.
Click here about how 2017 efforts to restore voting rights to ex-offenders were stalled.
Increase availability of and access to safe shelter.
- Expand shelter capacity.
- Increase number of medical respite beds.
Click here for a printable version of our 2018 Advocacy Agenda.
St. Stephen's is also one of 170+ endorsing members of the 2018 Homes for All Agenda. Learn more about Homes for All and access their advocacy toolbox here.