St. Stephen's Human Services has a special volunteer opportunity available this Spring while upgrades are being made to the First Covenant Church Shelter space. We are searching for six volunteers to serve as "Hospitality Volunteers" for at least one 4-hour evening shift each week for the duration of the construction. The opportunity will begin in April, and may last through early May.
If you are interested in helping and meet the requirements below, please submit your volunteer application by March 31st.
HOSPITALITY VOLUNTEER – TEMPORARY POSITION
FIRST COVENANT CHURCH SHELTER
810 S 7th St. Minneapolis, MN 55415
The First Covenant Church Shelter is an emergency shelter in downtown Minneapolis that serves 60 adult men and women every night. Guests usually stay in the shelter for 1-3 months and can often extend their stay until permanent housing is located. The St. Stephen’s Emergency Shelter Team supports guests in their progress towards achieving self-identified goals and housing stability.
Hospitality Volunteers will act as part of the shelter team to manage the evening operations of the shelter and support guests while the shelter undergoes construction in March and April of 2019. The Hospitality Volunteer role is a temporary position. If volunteers in this role wish to continue supporting the shelter after construction is concluded, there may be opportunities to join the shelter team as an Evening Shelter Volunteer after completing an additional orientation.
The Hospitality Volunteer will:
- open the shelter entrance and check guests in as they arrive throughout the evening;
- escort guests around the shelter and help them become acquainted with the new shelter layout;
- help carry food, linens, and other supplies up two flights of stairs from the basement to the second floor;
- monitor and tidy bathrooms and other public spaces throughout the night;
- help with meal preparation, service, and clean up;
- assist staff while they perform occasional checks around the building interior to ensure the space is secure.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Necessary skills include:
- working respectfully with clients and key stakeholders who are diverse with respect to race, ethnicity, gender orientation, socio-economic status, and religion;
- ability to interact positively and professionally with guests experiencing mental health and chemical health symptoms;
- ability to walk up and down stairs while carrying 10-30 lbs.
- ability to work collaboratively and creatively with staff and guests;
- must be at least 18 years of age;
- must be able to pass a background check.
- Volunteers for this position are needed from 5-9pm, 7 days a week. We expect multiple volunteers to participate, but only one Hospitality Volunteer will be “on duty” each evening. Each volunteer should be able to commit to at least one 4-hour evening shift each week for the duration of the construction.
- The beginning and end of the opportunity will be dictated by the construction timeline.
Complete our online volunteer application at ststephensmpls.org/join/volunteer-application, and check “Other” as the position you are interested in. Write in Hospitality Volunteer. Tess Ajax will contact you when your volunteer application is received to schedule orientation.